Thursday 11 December 2014

        Depression:   Children Acting Out in the Classroom?  Try Story telling.

There’s more to reading and storytelling than a great ability to spell.  It activates your child’s imagination and creative ability to think.  It also affects their mental well being.  For an example my first book, Attitude of Gratitude explores the idea that gratefulness makes us happy.   
Attitude of Gratitude promotes adopting a sense of optimism and happiness to banish the blues. In a comical catastrophe, meet an Opinionated Owl, a Fearful Frog, a Mopey Mole and a Grumpy Goat and follow them on their journey to contentment as they learn to transform their complaints into understanding and joy.
There are many studies that confirm this and the results are priceless.  Gratitude researchers have found that being grateful isn’t just a nice personal quality that leads to good manners. It delivers a profound payoff. By being truly thankful for all that life provides, a child has more chance of being emotionally, physically, and socially successful. One still-unpublished study, conducted by Dr. Jeffrey Froh of New York’s Hofstra University and Dr. Robert Emmons of the University of California at Davis, has found that when older children (ages 14 to 19) are able to acknowledge their good fortune, they’re more likely to be happy and experience lower levels of depression, envy, and materialism. There also appears to be a connection between feeling grateful and having higher GPA’s

Lower levels of Depression envy and materialism means less anger, bullying and more teamwork amongst colleagues and students.  (More time for teachers to devote to educating instead of behavior management)

Evidence from our own research suggests that grateful young adolescents (ages 11-13), compared to their less grateful counterparts, are happier and more optimistic, have better social support, are more satisfied with their school, family, community, friends, and themselves, and give more emotional support to others. We’ve also found that grateful teens (ages 14-19) are more satisfied with their lives, use their strengths to better their community, are more engaged in their schoolwork and hobbies, have higher grades, and are less envious, depressed, and materialistic. (Dr Jeffery Froh, Giancomo Bono)
The National Centre for Learning Disabilities suggests that reading storybooks on topics that address friendships and social interaction and discuss the social components of successful Interactions with others help children including those with “behavioral challenges.
The cost effectiveness of having happy kids in the classroom is priceless.  It cuts down on bullying, depression, and stress which means teachers have more time to teach.  It means less children need counselors, meds, and build more solid friendships.  They are more pleasant to be around. 
Let’s instill into our children gratefulness and raise happy kids who contribute to the classroom and reach out to their peers in friendship instead of bullying!
I’d like to introduce myself.  My name is Holly and I’m a special educator and author.  I’m in the process of having my second book published and would like to tell you why I think my fables will help your children’s social well being and education.  
First of all my love of storytelling and reading started at a very young age.  My dad would often keep my sister and I occupied on trips with his own tales.  My sister and I loved to take turns making up our own stories.  As an avid reader like my mom I used to sneak extra reading time under my blankets with a flashlight at night.  My teachers and parents credit my love for reading to my advanced spelling ability.

I’m also an early childhood educator and special education facilitator.  My career passions are teaching, writing, cultivating the creativity of your children and entertaining them in an educational way.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are writing a blog now, Holly! I've added it to my blog reading list on my blog... Life with Lynnie. Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete